August 9, 2019
Teacher Leadership Institute 2019-2020
The National Education Association, in partnership with NEA state and local affiliates, is proud to offer the Teacher Leadership Institute (TLI) Fellowship. The TLI is a comprehensive effort to recruit, prepare, activate, and support the next generation of teachers to shape and lead a transformed teaching profession.
The Teacher Leadership Institute is a yearlong (October 2019 – August 2020), cohort-based learning experience consisting of:
- Rigorous competency-based curriculum;
- Applied experience through a self-selected capstone project;
- Deep local and national community collaboration;
- Extensive coaching and support; and
- Evidence-based portfolio documenting growth in the Teacher Leadership Competencies.
Overarching competencies – Eight competencies that all leaders utilize are at the heart of the curriculum during Term 1 of TLI. Fellows choose TWO of these competencies for deep study, practice, and reflection.
Foundational Competencies focused on Diversity, Equity and Cultural Competence– Fellows infuse work throughout TLI with a deep study of Diversity, Equity, and Cultural Competence. Fellows choose one of the Diversity, Equity, and Cultural Competence Competencies for deeper study and reflection during Term 2.
Leadership Pathway competencies – Fellows choose a challenge/issue to address as a capstone project in Term 2. They select ONE of the following three Pathways for deeper study and reflection.
- Instructional Leadership – teacher leaders at the center of facilitating, supporting, and improving teaching and learning in their schools, districts, and beyond.
- Policy Leadership – teacher leaders creating, informing, and influencing policy at the school, local, state, and national levels;
- Association Leadership – teacher leaders that guide the association on its mission to advance the profession of teaching, the professional interests of members, and the well-being of our students.
Capstone Project and Portfolio
The Capstone Project and Portfolio are the culmination of the TLI curriculum and experience. It is the opportunity for fellows to integrate the concepts and skills they have learned in order to address their selected leadership challenge and impact education stakeholders, policy, and/or practice.
The Capstone Project promotes exploration of personal leadership skills, problem solving, collaboration, and self-reflection. Each fellow in the Teacher Leadership Institute will take part in a Capstone project individually or in collaboration with others involved in the Institute and will have the opportunity for a formative review of leadership growth via the individual submission of a Portfolio. The purpose of the Capstone Project and Portfolio is to demonstrate professional growth along the continuum of teacher leadership as captured by the Teacher Leadership Competencies.
At the completion of the year, Fellows will have gained new, unparalleled leadership expertise and experience. TLI Fellows will be uniquely prepared for leadership roles in their Association, in the policy-making arenas, and in their profession. NEA is proud to offer this growth opportunity through NEA local and state affiliates, and we look forward to working with the 2019 – 2020 Fellows. Stipend upon completion.
TLI 2019 Fellow’s application link: https://form.jotform.com/91145756056157